Starting your very own e-commerce store can be both fun and overwhelming- with all of the steps to complete and goals to accomplish, it’s important that you keep in mind not only what you should be doing but also what you should NOT be.
1. DON’T DO EVERYTHING AT ONCE. Take an incremental approach to your design process- starting with your color scheme and page layouts, then add products with descriptions, finally ending it with tax and shipping options.
2. DON’T OVERLOOK THE SMALL STUFF. Things that may seem frivolous to some people could literally determine the overall success of your business. Pay attention to all page content, including but not limited to: grammar, punctuation, correct spelling of names (brands, products, people). Keep in mind that credit card rates from different merchants can make a huge difference over time, so don’t just say “Oh it’s only a 1% difference” because 1% of a million is $10,000!
3. DON’T BE CHEAP WHEN OUTSOURCING. Not all e-commerce store owners can also do web design, graphic design, social media marketing, content marketing, press release writing, etc. When hiring someone to perform a service for your business don’t always go with the lowest price offer you receive, because in life you really do get what you pay for.
4. DON’T BE TOO HARD ON YOURSELF. Some people are just more serious than others, and that’s fine- especially in business where that trait can carry you a long way. But being serious all the time can quickly lead to overwhelming stress and eventually burnout, which isn’t good for you or your bottom line. To stay focused and creative, you want to give yourself a set time range everyday to sit back and relax.
5. DON’T EXPECT TO BE AN OVERNIGHT SUCCESS. This never happens in any area of business! Not even in the music business where a hit song seems to come out of nowhere- those artists have spent years of work behind the scenes before anyone would give them a shot. As long as you are reaching even one new person everyday with your business, remain patient and the benefits will come.
These “5 DON’Ts” are guaranteed to simplify the whole process of starting and running your own e-commerce business all the while making it more enjoyable!
Brand Development/Content Marketing Specialist